HP Introduces LaserJet 5Si NX Network Printer
Hewlett- Packard Company today announced the HP LaserJet 5Si NX printer, the newest addition to its best-selling HP LaserJet 5Si family of network printers. HP has developed the "N" designation to address a growing need for affordable network printers that are easy to set up, use and manage.
The new printer, priced at $3,869 (U.S.), comes equipped for PCs in Ethernet environments. The new model includes an HP JetDirect internal print-server card for Ethernet 10Base-T and HP JetAdmin printer-management software, providing users and network administrators with an exceptional level of functionality and ease of use.
The LaserJet 5Si NX printer joins the HP LaserJet 5N printer and HP DeskJet 1600CN color printer in this growing, affordable-network-printing category, highlighting HP's leadership in providing effective network printing solutions for every environment. The LaserJet 5Si NX printer provides network printing for customers who require affordable network connectivity but may not need the Adobe PostScript, or Apple LocalTalk port or extra memory offered with the HP LaserJet 5Si MX printer.
These "N" series network printers come at a time when a growing number of users are connecting printers directly to networks for faster performance, greater location flexibility and better remote manageability. International Data Corporation estimates that 87 percent of all U.S. laser printers will be connected directly to networks by 1999, up from 47 percent in 1994.
"An increasing number of customers are connecting LaserJet 5Si printers to their office networks, so we expanded the successful line with the LaserJet 5Si NX printer to provide users with a more affordable network printing solution," said Ormond Rankin, marketing manager for HP's Business LaserJet Division. "The LaserJet 5Si NX printer is an economical network-ready solution for companies that require best-in-class laser printing."
The LaserJet 5Si NX printer offers the same print speed and paper-handling features as the LaserJet 5Si and LaserJet 5Si MX printers. Some of these key features include the following:
- Print speed -- The LaserJet 5Si NX printer prints up to 24 pages-per-minute (24 ppm) for fast, continuous printing;
- Paper handling -- The LaserJet 5Si NX printer offers three standard input sources, including two 500-sheet trays and one 100-sheet multipurpose tray. An optional 2,000-sheet input tray provides users with a fourth input source and a total capacity of 3,100 sheets. The printer accepts a full range of media sizes, including 11-inch by 17-inch, letter, legal, B4 and executive sizes;
- Print quality -- The LaserJet 5Si NX printer prints 600 x 600 dots per inch (dpi) with microfine toner and HP Resolution
Enhancement technology (REt) and offers more than 120 levels of gray for producing crisper, smoother text and graphics;
- Software management -- HP JetAdmin printer-management software provides LaserJet 5Si NX printer users and network administrators with the tools needed to remotely use and manage all printers connected to the network. Enhanced automatic drive downloading and auto configuration also help save time and increase productivity.
The LaserJet 5Si NX printer, like the LaserJet 5Si and 5Si MX printers, can be equipped with a variety of optional accessories for custom configurations, depending on specific customer requirements. HP accessories include the following: 2,000-SHEET INPUT TRAY;
- duplex unit that supports up to 11-inch by 17-inch paper and 100-piece envelope feeder;
- multibin mailbox; and
- mailbox with stapler. -0-
The LaserJet 5Si NX printer also can be upgraded to offer the functionality of HP's recently introduced LaserJet 5Si mopier. With select HP accessories, users can take advantage of multiple-original printing capabilities identical to those found in the LaserJet 5Si mopier. Third-party software solutions and paper-handling devices, offering features such as folding and saddle-stitching for booklet making, also are available for the LaserJet 5Si NX printer.
The LaserJet 5Si NX printer is $3,869. It is available now through HP-authorized dealers and distributors in the United States and Canada.
Return to today's headlines