Acrux Software announced the release of the version 1 of "Teach!": a Mac-only multi-media authoring toolkit specifically designed for creating and running educational courseware, surveys, and presentations.
The Teach! program represents a fresh new look at how to create effective multi-media educational courseware, and is in many ways modeled on how we actually learn.
It imitates familiar teaching methods and concepts such as classroom tuition, learning from textbooks, answering questions, doing exercises, tests and experiments, and taking part in discussions.
- speech synsthesis is used for audible narration
- questions (many types) can be automatically checked for correctness, and scores allocate
- individual pages (or entire tests) can be timed, like in examinations
- answers can be recorded (separately for each user) and summarized on properly formatted printable reports
- you can make maths exercises based on random numbers, allowing unlimited practice * reports generated by the program (and other data) can also be sent via email or CGI scripts to instructors at WWW sites
- pages allowing interactive experimentation and exploration can be constructed, using for example graphs to demonstrate variable maths functions
- you can make hypertext and button links to other pages in the course, pages on other courses, or even pages the WWW
An easy, intuitive point-and-click environment is used for constructing the courseware, which involves nothing more than "drawing" items on pages (like in a drawing program), and setting their properties using dialogs. These properties can be used to turn each page into a miniature interactive multi-media program. There are nearly 40 types of items from which you can choose, and no programming or scripting is involved; most of the complex operations (for example maintaining scores and generating reports) are built into the program.
The Teach! program is accelerated for Power PC's, but also performs well on older 68k machines. It should particularly appeal to those interested in making curriculum-grade educational courseware for use in schools, but the program can also be used for general multi-media presentations and surveys.
The program comes supplied with:
* a fun multimedia tour of the program * sample courses * online multimedia manuals (printed Designer's manual and quick reference cards are also available) * tutorialsÝ
Single user and site licenses are available, with a specially low priced site license for schools!
For more information, point your web browser to:
A full trialware copy can be downloaded (4.8 MB)
Download trialware lite version.
Return to today's headlines
Copyright 1997 - 2008
GVP.DSJ Inc Web Development & GetMeOnTop SEO & Search Optimization NYC