Click above to browse over 2,000,000 Products and services
APPLE SPECIAL BULLETIN for DIRECT VARs
-- Repair Extension Program Information for PowerBook 5300 and PowerBook
--Reseller Exchange Program for PowerBook 5300 and PowerBook 190 Products
--Repair Extension Program Information for Power Macintosh and Performa
APPLE SPECIAL BULLETIN FOR DIRECT VARS
Apple has identified certain quality issues with some PowerBook 5300 and
PowerBook 190 products and will implement a repair extension program and
ask resellers to exchange their inventory. Apple also is implementing a
repair extension program for specific Power Macintosh and Performa 52xx/53xx/62xx/63xx
- Please forward this bulletin to your service staff.
- Please begin the Reseller Inventory Exchange Program process immediately.
Additional details for these programs will be provided as soon as they become
* Repair Extension Program Information for PowerBook 5300 and PowerBook
PowerBook 5300, 5300c, 5300ce, 5300cs; PowerBook 190, 190cs
The Repair Extension Program for PowerBook 5300 and PowerBook 190 products
addresses the following quality issues:
PowerBook 5300 and PowerBook 190
- The AC power connector on some systems can become loose or inoperative.
- The display bezel and housing on some systems can crack at the hinge.
PowerBook 5300 Only
- Some systems may exhibit problems when accessing a device in the
media bay while using certain PC cards that draw higher levels of power.
- Some systems take a long time to boot when plugged into AC power.
- On some systems, devices intermittently drop off LocalTalk networks.
REPAIRS INCLUDED IN PROGRAM
The Repair Extension Program includes some or all of the following, as
appropriate for a particular PowerBook 5300 and/or PowerBook 190 system:
- As appropriate, update system software to Mac OS Version 7.5.2
- As appropriate, update the logic board to include engineering changes
implemented as of April 22, 1996.
- As appropriate, replace display housing to correct cracks in plastic.
- As appropriate, add shielding to improve hard disk drive performance.
Because supplies of parts will be limited initially, Apple will require
for a limited time, repairs of products under this program be implemented
by a central Apple repair depot for U.S. customers. Apple will provide more
information about repair plans in subsequent bulletins.
- Advise customers inquiring about the specific issues described above,
Apple is rolling out a Repair Extension Program for PowerBook 5300 and PowerBook
190 products. Apple will set up a toll-free number for PowerBook 5300 and
PowerBook 190 owners exhibiting the specific issues identified. Until it
is available, refer customers to 1-800-SOS- APPL where the Apple representative
will take the customer's name and
telephone number and call the customer back to schedule the repair.
- Apple will notify by mail all registered customers with details of
the repair programs.
- Subsequent bulletins will continue to update resellers on the special
800# for PowerBook 5300 and 190 owners and how they can participate in this